wayne burdick wrote:
Ian wrote:

Did Rob comment on pops and transients generated in the AGC and DSP?

That was  the subject of his presentation at Dayton 2007, where he gave
many examples to show that "New IF DSP designs [can] seriously
exaggerate transient noise on weak signals... Some DSP radios make QRN
much worse."

He also said, "I can’t wait to listen to the K3 to see if they got it
right." And...?

According to Rob, we did "get it right." He told us that his test pulse resulted in essentially no upward S-meter movement or AGC activation. (Rob mentioned that he'd be adding a column to his table to indicate which rigs pass this test and which don't.)

To achieve this, we created a DSP algorithm that can tell the difference between transient pulses and useful signals, over a fairly wide amplitude and duration range. Obviously you can't remove all such transients -- some have complex waveforms and long durations and are better dealt with using a combination of noise blanking and noise reduction. But it works very well on most "shot" events.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Excellent - thank you, Wayne and Rob.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek