Hi Neil:

So...
1. If I want to call 25kHz up, and the KX1 RIT range is
~+/- 6kHz, what's be best way to jump back and forth given
that constraint? Should I be using the priority freq. memory
function, and try to switch back and forth fast enough to
establish a contact? At the rate the QSOs were taking place,
switching that way seems cumbersome.

UNfortunately, there's NO WAY to use the KX1 (alone) to work
DX that's operating with THAT WIDE A SPLIT...!  Period.

You need to have virtually INSTANTANEOUSLY SWITCHABILITY
between receiving the DX's signal and those of the other
stations calling him. With a split wider than the KX1 can
handle, there's just no way to make that leap.

2. Would I be better using the second rcvr to listen, and
the KX1 only to transmit? But then I need to build a TR
switch, and I'm not sure how to best get a transmit control
signal from the KX-1. Also how would I operate portably
without the extra recvr... my main interest?

Some sort of decent receiver which you could put on the DX's
transmit frequency, thus allowing you to move the KX1 (RX AND
TX) up to the area where the 'pileup' is calling and working
him.  That way, you can use the KX1 to search for the guy the
DX is working, and have the KX1 TX follow.

Good luck,

Tom N0SS