I have an amplifier with four 572B tubes.  I have been
running the same Cetron 572Bs since 1976 in this
Dentron Clipperton L and in a Hunter Bandit before.
This summer I decided to lay in another set to stretch
the life of the amp.  I ordered a quad of the premium
Chinese Tubes from the distributor that I considered
to be the best available.  When I received and
installed them they didn't work.  After some
investigation and head scratching I found that one of
them had an open filament.

The distributor replaced them with another set and a
rude accusation that I ruined the tubes by overdriving
them.

The second set lasted a month, but were not as good as
the 30 year old Cetrons when installed and were dead
by the end of the two CQWW DX contests.  I pulled the
new tubes and reinstalled the Cetrons which are still
going strong.

I emailed the distributor and asked what he would
recommend that I do and how he would be willing to
help.  After my second email, I received a very rude
phone call from the "Customer Service Department"
which essentially told me to stuff it.

My conclusion is that amplifier tube supply as far as
572Bs are concerned is dead now.  The Chinese are not
making a good product and the US distributor feels
that he can do nothing about it, so his present
approach it to stonewall the problem.

My next amplifier will be whatever I deem the best
solid state amp available at a price that I can
manage.  I hope that my Clipperton will hang in until
I can recover from paying for my K3.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ