Haven't really had time to use my K3 on 50MHz, but when I tried it the sensitivity seemed quite a bit down on my K2/KXV50 combination. Unfortunately I have sold the KXV50, so I can't do an A/B comparison.

Is this what the preamp is meant to address  ?

The 6m preamp, when available, is meant to help in those cases where a lower noise figure at the receiver input (or lower receiver temperature if you prefer to think of it that way) coupled with the required additional front end gain to provide that lower noise figure, would be expected to provide improved receive performance as determined by the station system design.

Your 6m receiving system may or may not benefit from this. It depends entirely on your station's design and where the K3 as a component fits into that design.

73,

Lyle KK7P