Ken,

Use the real serial port if you can. They are always more reliable than the adapters.
If you must use the adapter, make certain you have the latest drivers.

73,
Don W3FPR

Ken wrote:
I am wondering which way to plan for K3 updates -- USB port or serial port on
your computer.

I am concerned about XP or Vista software being up to date for supporting the USB port. Maybe someone with more experience can interpret the cryptic notes on the K3 software page related ot prolific. See the big red IMPORTANT and the related URL for prolific.

Ken K5WK