Hi David,

Let me play the Devil's Advocate and offer a thought about soldering antenna wire. Seems to me that the practice of soldering the wire loops at the end insulators of a wire antenna, as suggested in the ARRL Antenna Handbook for example, could result in the wire breaking prematurely at that point when stressed by high wind. FWIW I use stranded Flexweave but do not solder the end 'loops' which are secured by Ty-Wraps, with the end of the wire folded over the first Ty-Wrap installed to prevent 'creep'. The Ty-Wraps and wire loops are covered by a good dose of Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) to keep out moisture and to keep the wire clean, then covered by black tape to stop rain washing away the Vaseline and perhaps provide a small amount of strain relief. No breakage problems during the past 9 years in spite of some very high winds which have taken down nearby tall pines, one of which fell across an antenna blowing its catenary counterweight 'fuses' allowing that antenna to fall under the tree, but otherwise undamaged.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

David Cutter G3UNA wrote:

Hi Tom

You make a good point.  I say offer both and let the market decide.

David
G3UNA