Arie Kleingeld PA3A wrote:

> If we distort our SSB audio by compression etc, then let's hope that the
> sideband filter will limit the bandwidth. (I don't know where the
> compression or whatever is done in a K3).
> But if the PA distorts the signal even more, there is no filter to limit
> this within a few kHz.
> So I think the IMD measurement might be important.
>
> Let the guru's speak.....

OK, that's true about any compression that happens before the filter. But
ALC compression certainly happens after. I think that any laboratory IMD
measurement will be carried out without any ALC at all. In any event, ALC
should not have an effect on a laboratory IMD test since the two tones are
not varying in amplitude, unlike a real SSB or PSK signal. So the laboratory
IMD test bears little relationship to the real world.

I think that the characteristics of a transmitter's ALC may have more effect
on the signal than any laboratory IMD figure. To give an example: in the Rev
2 K2 firmware, a modification was made to the ALC characteristic in data
modes that allowed ALC to be used to control TX power without introducing
unacceptable IMD products. This suggests to me that complex characteristics
of the ALC will have more effect on signal width in real-world SSB operation
than small differences in PA linearity that are reflected in the IMD
measurements that only relate to the transmission of two constant amplitude
tones. Too slow ALC and the PA could clip, causing severe splatter. Too fast
and it will operate like compression creating many IMD products.

But I am not an expert and am interested in what they have to say to this
hypothesis as well.

-----
Julian, G4ILO  K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com