Similar to vinyl vs. cd

David
G3UNA

Mike,

I believe it is all in the perception. The K2 is all analog (unless the KDSP2 is active), but the K3 processing is digital. Each has its own advantages and artifacts to contend with. Analog can soften the background noise while the digital DSP can reproduce it 'in all its glory'. I equate this perception to the folks in the audiophile world who claim that vacuum tube amplifiers are better because they are 'warmer'. Actual measurement will show that solid state amplifiers can better duplicate the input waveform while vacuum tube gear adds 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion to the output.

To each his own.  Remember that perception is 99% of reality.

73,
Don W3FPR

Mike Harris wrote:
Hi,

I put my K2 #1400 back on line last night to have a listen around 40M CW. I'm getting a bit fed up with one step forward, half a step back firmware upgrades and am giving it a rest for a while. Anyway, I was surprised just how nice it sounded compared to my K3. The audio seems softer and warmer somehow. Same bandwidth (400Hz), same phones. The K3 background noise just sounded harder, more harsh. I've had this feeling from day one.