I would be tempted to replace the 120VAC relay with a dc relay and key it directly from the rig. Don't forget to fit a diode across it to squash the back emf. This may have other ramifications and might not be this simple, but it's well worth consideration.

David
G3UNA

The FAQ for the K3 promised a 0-50 ms amp keying delay. We got only 0-20 ms in the latest release. I don't think 20 ms is enough in my case, based on my primitive research. Several "experts" have said mine might need as much as 30-35 ms. My amp's relay is a 30 yr old Potter & Brumfield open frame model with a 120vac coil.

To make things worse, since the K3 will not switch 120vac, I must use another relay with a 12vdc coil in the line between the K3 and the amp, which in turn pulls in the P&B relay. This exacerbates the matter by taking even more time, and I'm afraid to try anything for fear it will damage the K3 and the amp. Am I wrong?? Anyone care to comment??

One of the many reasons I bought the K3 was to be able to operate at least semi break in CW and VOX with my old amp without hot switching, by virtue of having ample switching delay. I've waited months for the feature and am disappointed..

However, I hasten to add this: As a K2 user/owner/builder, I expected much in the K3. I got much more than I expected. I gave up a nice Icom Pro 3 for the K3 and don't miss the Pro 3 one iota. The K3 is unbelievable in what it can do and how superbly it does it. And getting new firmware is icing on the cake.

But I sure wish I had 0-50ms amp delay capability!  How about it, Wayne?

George, N4YM

K2 # 4758
K3 # 340