A type of antenna that I keep packed for use at short notice is a halfwave centre fed dipole for use as a vertical, where part of the coax feeder forms the bottom half of the dipole. With this arrangement the coax feeder comes away from the bottom of the antenna not from the centre, radials are not essential and matching is easy. The complete antenna and feeder could be made using a single length of coax. Although it is a single band antenna there might be a modification, which I have not yet tried, to get it to work well on two perhaps three bands. I have used this scheme to feed Half Squares and other types of phased vertical arrays.

If of any interest to you please let me know and I will send you a diagram.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Kristinn, TF3KX, wrote on Friday, May 09, 2008 3:07 AM

Summer is around the corner (finally here, up at the arctic circle). Those
of you organized enough to have the K2 ready to be taken on the road or on
the trail on a short notice, what do you have in that travel kit, aside from
the K2 itself?

CW-key, mike, headphones, log book, pre-cut antenna wire, telescoping
pole,...?