I tried using the quick memories 0-9 to store band data, modes, filters, and other parameters (Douglas Zweibel's message of March 10). Then I thought about how most bands are split into CW and phone sub- bands that need separate mode and filter settings. So, I took it a step further. I offer this as a universal band management scheme.

I assigned each CW and phone band to a separate memory number, starting with memory 10. These are selected by VFO A (with the help of text labels). I set VFO A to the bottom of the (CW or phone) sub-band, and VFO B to the top of that sub-band. That enables band scanning (Manual p. 37). And of course, I set modes and filters appropriately.

I labeled each memory like this, starting with #10:

10.  "160C"   -- the 160m CW portion
11.  "160S"   -- the 160m (SSB) phone portion
12.  " 80 C"
13.  " 80 S"
14.  " *60  1"  -- on 60m, the last digit is the "channel number" (1-5)
15. " *60 2" The *asterisk sets up channel-hop scanning (Manual p.37)
                                (not yet enabled in firmware)
... etc.,
ending with:
33.   "  6  S"   -- the 6m phone band

Quick memories M1-M4 supplement these entries PER-BAND. For 20-10m, I set the DX beacon frequencies to M4. M1-M3 are open for quick entries, nets, etc.

This set-up took me about an hour, but it's good learning practice! I now have instant reference to ALL my band boundaries, right on my K3 screen.

So, how does it play? Tap M>V and the big knob becomes a super band switch (without detents). You want speed? Duplicate just your favorite bands onto any quick memories 0-9. Memories 10-33 remain, keeping ALL the bands stored for you. If (when) you tap V>M by mistake and override a quick memory (!) you can find it again, with all your settings, and transfer it back to the quick memory.

2. To hop bands with instant return to the same frequency, don't forget the original BAND switch!

56 non-quick memories remain available. I set one for CB (11m USA Citizen's Band) -- Why not? I can scan it to check for 10m skip. I can use others for SWL bands or favorite broadcast stations (one on VFO A and another on VFO B).

Now I fully enjoy the navigation capability of the K3.

Windy KM5Q
Santa Fe, NM