Mike,

While my pride as a builder says, "No way!" you are probably right and I'll probably have to rebuild that board. To paraphrase a quote: "We hates it Mr. Baggins..."

   Regards,

   kurtt

   Kurt Pawlikowski, AKA WB9FMC
   The Pinrod Corporation
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   (773) 284-9500
   http://pinrod.com

Mike wrote:
Kurt,

For what it's worth, when I built my KX-1 I had very similar problems.  I wound
up sending a pic of my LPF board to Don, who spotted the slightest hint of
enamel insulation in one of the toroid solder joints.  I had to look at it 4
times before I could even see it.  Anyway, I wound up pretty much rebuilding
that board and it was fine after that.  It's *very* finicky.

Mike, KC0KBC

From: Kurt Pawlikowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Don,

    I'll check the LPF board closely.

As far as whether the signal increase, I believe it does. Since, when I touch it, signals I an hearing on my other receiver become apparent in the KX-1 also. And, I believe the XG-2 signal is increasing (only by ear). I say that because the increase is very noticeable: From, "Is it there?" to "I have to turn it down." Which is quite a jump (probably 9dB).

Anyway, I'll look it over more closely (maybe rebuild that board) and report back. Thanks.

    Regards,

    kurtt

    Kurt Pawlikowski, AKA WB9FMC
    The Pinrod Corporation
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    (773) 284-9500
    http://pinrod.com

Don Wilhelm wrote:
Kurt,

From all you have said, I would believe that the problem is in the KXB3080 low pass filter. While I agree that your continuity test indicates no apparent problem with the toroid lead tinning, check all the connections to be certain there is a bit of solder on both sides of the board - if not, view that connection with suspicion.

Make certain there is no contact with the green wire from L2 to the lower connection of the red wire. The green wire must wrap around to the back side of the LPF board and can inadvertently contact the #4 termination of the wire for the red winding.

The best LPF testing is visual - look for any suspicious solder connections. Yes, you will see a 17 MHz cutoff on the LPF if you measure it without regard to disconnecting it from the rest of the circuit and failing to properly terminate the filter (it is not 50 ohms at the PA transistor side, but I have not ever calculated the proper termination).

Perhaps it is helpful if I tell you that the green winding is the only active portion on 40, 30 and 20 meters. The red winding is used for 80 meters and SWB band below about 6 MHz only.

Caution: The sensitivity of the KX1 is not as great on 20 meters as it is on 30 or 40 meters. Bringing a finger (or antenna) close to T2 or many of the receiver tuned circuits after the LPF will normally result in an increase in receiver total output, but that is actually an increase in broadband noise - under careful measurement conditions, the desired signal strength will not increase even though the overall noise level does. Spectrogram will show that is true.

73,
Don W3FPR

Kurt Pawlikowski wrote:
Hi,

   First, thanks for reading. Hopefully, it won't be boring for those
lucky K3 guys and gals...

   CONFIGURATION

   KX-1, 3080 upgrade. ATU currently removed and antenna jumper
installed for testing.Using XG-2 as a signal source. I have confirmed
the XG-2 seems to be working about as expected with another receiver
(about S-10 at 50uv and S-0 (but still in the speakers) at 1uv).

   SYMPTOM

   With normal operation, receive levels appear normal on 80 and 40 (I
can make contacts), but the XG2 is not peaking the KX-1's meter (I used
the XG-2 to calibrate the meter). 20 meters has always seemed deaf to
me. I don't remember how well the XG-2 was received on 20 when I
calibrated it. Here's the real "kicker": On 20 meters, with the XG-2
attached, I hear *no* volume difference between 50 and 1uv (which means
the KX-1's receiver is picking up the signal by proximity, not through
the antenna connection). If I touch the RX antenna connection almost
anywhere between the low-pass filter and the input of the Rx Mixer (U6,
pin 1), 20 meters comes way up (from nothing to receiving moderately
weak signals and noise). Touching the RX antenna line on 80 and 40
appears to have little or no affect. Output power on 20 meters does not
register full power, but I'm not sure if this is a calibration problem
as I don't have an accurate power meter. Also, when I couple a grid dip
meter into the RX, when tuned to 30 or 20 meters, I get a marked "dip"
just at about 17 MHz.