Jeremy wrote:

I've been looking around for a few weeks now for my
 first HF radio
(just recently newly licensed as a General) - and
 am looking at either
something like a Yaesu FT-101, or a Kenwood
 TS-820S.... or an Elecraft
K1 (probably just the 2-band 20m/40m version).
----------------
Jeremy:
I was not active for may years. To get back on HF I
bought the K1  4 band version with ATU, in 2003. I
also bought the noise blanker.

I first set up the VFO for 75 KHz  Later I changed to
to 150 KHz to get more coverage on 40 M. I enjoyed the
greater coverage but the VFO tuned too fast. I changed
it back to 75 KHz.

The Noise blanker is not very good, I seldom use it.

The ATU works very well.

On the 4 band K1 you have a choice of setting up for
17M or 15M.  I put in the 17M parts and had several
QSOs on that band.  Lately I changed to 15 M. Have not
had a QSO on that band yet.

Get up a good antenna.  I had an 88' dipole up about
35'. I was amazed at the ease of making QSOs on 40,
30, 20 meters with that antenna.  I also have the
BL-2. I fed the antenna with ladder line.

It took me about 20 hours to build the K1. Just follow
the instructions and do the build over a few days.

I just got a K3. I still plan to use the K1 to
completed WAS.

Some info on my K1 at   http://tyrrell.us/amateur/
Good luck.

73, Ty, W1TF