Well, the radio seems ok, but there will be occasions, such as operating near to very strong in-band signals when it may perform less than satisfactorily and it is hard to identify what is happening. There may well be artefacts that are disturbing and only heard on odd occasions such as this and reduce the effectiveness of the radio in a contest for instance, and it is difficult to reproduce those conditions on the bench, ie multiple very strong signals near a weak one. I know someone who receives 55-60dB over 9 bc signals on 40m and the K3 probably cannot cope with this.

I think the point about making standardised measurements is that they are standard, but most of the time you wouldn't notice if you were compliant or not. In days of old when assessing military radios returned for service, it was established that >60% failed the spec and were not reported by the operator for those failures. So, I think I would like to know that my radio is compliant with its spec then I can look elsewhere when a problem occurs.

David
G3UNA>>

If nothing is obviously wrong with the radio, I can't see the point of
returning filters to Elecraft for testing, especially all the way from the
UK (and at whose expense?) and being without a working radio for a couple of
weeks, in all likelihood to prove that nothing is wrong with them.

Normal component variations will account for slight differences in the
performance of individual radios in any case. Some of us will have a radio
that is at the low end of certain specification ranges, and others will have one at the high end. Some may have a slightly better performing receiver but
a slightly worse performing transmitter, or vice versa. But I very much
doubt if you could tell the difference between them if they were side by
side, without the aid of a lab full of test equipment. These test results
just encourage people to obsess over differences in performance that
probably can not be discerned in actual on-air operation.

As far as I am concerned, if my K3 seems OK to me then it *is* OK.

-----
Julian, G4ILO K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392