What I do believe is that there is an artifact or artifacts.... and I can hear them. I put the LC filter as mentioned before on my headset and the so called "artifacts" are gone. It's very simple, I can't hear them with my ears if i have the LC filter in irrespective of expensive equipment dB levels and measurements and perhaps they are 70dB down but there is something there and I'm not the only one to hear it.

My hearing is good up and beyond 12KHz, perhaps that is part of my problem.

There is also no filtering on the circuit from the DAC to the audio amp as far as I can seeso everything coming out from the DAC is amplified.

73's

Berni
G0IDA

Jack Smith wrote:
I agree that it's around 70 dB below the normal signal level.

The original poster believes it is the source of his problem.

My ears are not good enough to hear 12 KHz.

Jack K8ZOA

Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
The 12 KHz artifact appears to be the audio output DAC clock, with the demodulated audio forming upper and lower sidebands with it. It's down considerably, but still is apparently causing issues with those who have good high frequency hearing response.

I'm confused ... my measurements show the "12 KHz artifact" is more than 70 dB below a 1V peak signal. The artifact is not measurable when the headphone level is below -30 dBV. This level is comparable to the in band receiver noise floor with a -73 dBm RF signal and below the in band noise level with -100 dBM (1 uV) or -130 dBm sources. I do not understand why an out of band signal some 70 dB down should be an issue. The only reason the 12 KHz artifact can even be noticed with test equipment is that the K3's out of band noise floor (noise above the DSP and IF cut-off) is so exceptional. Even with AF gain, the audio noise outside the passband is no more than -100 to -110 dBV (I can't measure it). To complete the record, the 12 KHz artifact is also present on the Line Out DAC about 70 dB below the desired signal. 73, ... Joe, W4TV