Steve:
I use Afreet Software, Inc.
     Software created by Alex Shovkoplyas, VE3NEA

DX Atlas 2.25

   http://www.dxatlas.com/

The less frequently heard DX callsigns are a problem for me also. Many times
they are a special call sign for an event or DX expedition. There are lists out
there that tell what prefixes belong to what country. Sometimes that does not
work either.

DX Atlas does a great job with maps, direction, distance, and gray line info.
It gets frequent use here. Even if I only want the direction and distance to a
state side station.

73, Ty, W1TF, K3 #696, K1 # 1423