-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jim Wiley
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:32 PM
To: Greg-N4CC
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] 6M Preamp

While having a 6-meter preamplifier may help when signals are weak, if
the band well and truly opens, signals will be so strong that overload
will be most operator's main problem.  Remember that during the openings
of 1948 and 1959, many stations managed to work WAS with transmitters
that put out less than 10 watts (Gonset "Communicators" and the like)
and had receivers where a 10 db noise figure was considered good, and
many were much worse, plus many were using very simple antennas (eg: a
ground-plane vertical).  Up this way, Tim, KL7WE (SK) did indeed work
WAS (from Alaska) with a barefoot 2 to 3 watt output ICOM IC-502 set in
the 1970's.   Not trying to discourage anyone from having a preamplifier
available, but just mentioning that with a bit of patience,  a "stock"
radio may be all you need.

- Jim, KL7CC