Jim, I wrote this response based on my experience with my K3.  I agree, the
direct connection to the front panel mic connector should work fine, but I
had a transformer on hand and wanted to use the rear mic connector where a
chassis ground is not as easily available.  This connection has worked very
well in a high RF environment with no problems whatsoever.

Re the Shure SM58 style mics: as cardioids, they are subject to proximity
effect but largely to the extent you "eat the mic".  At more reasonable
distances of 1-2 inches I don't find it a problem at all.  I also like the
noise reduction from amplifier fans the cardiod pattern affords.  Coupled
with the K3 TX equalizer where I roll off everything below 400 Hz and boost
to varying levels at 1600 Hz and above, I personally find the results equal
to or better than any other mics I have used on the K3.

Of course, a simple computer headset electret mic can also work very well
and cost next to nothing!

Chuck, AE4CW