> You are testing the regulation capability of your power
> supply.

Sorry, Don.  Using the internal voltmeter in the K3 does not
test the regulation of the power supply.  The pick-off point
for the voltmeter is after Q2 (FDS6375) the FET power switch
and D6 (SB530) reverse voltage protection diode.  The drop
Doug is measuring is primarily the drop through Q2.

If you don't believe me, check the voltage readings at 2W,
5W and 10W then compare them to 20W, 50W and 100W.  Then
compare those same voltages to a calibrated DVM directly
across the power supply.

Note, the voltage read by the K3 voltmeter will be .3V less
(at no load) than the voltage at the PowerPole due to D6 and
the drop will increase with current through Q2.  Power for
the KPA3 100 Watt amplifier is picked off before D6/Q2.

In my case (an Astron RS-35A that drops 0.01V from no load
to > 20A measured directly at the output), I see 13.7V on
the K3 with no load (power supply set to 14.0V), 13.3V at
10.0W and 13.1V at 100W.  The 0.2V difference between 10W
(3.7A) to 100W (18.0A) represents 0.014 Ohms [0.2V /
(18.0-3.7A)] of power cable and connector resistance.

My concern is the relatively large change in voltage with
current through the FDS6375.  The current through Q2 should
be less than 4 A (no current for KPA3).  The Fairchild data
sheet (www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FD/FDS6375.pdf) shows
Rds(on) should be less than 0.03 Ohms for -Vgs > 2V.

I am concerned that the .4V swing on the unregulated +12A
line to the LPA (driver) might be responsible for some of
the IMD seen in the K3 output at higher power levels.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV