I have owned an ALS-600 for the last 5 years and have, for the most
part been quite happy with it. I did an expensive solution to the "no QSK"
problem by purchasing the Ameritron QSK-5; the pair work flawlessly
together with fast, "thump free",  full QSK.

My biggest complaint with the '600 is the really cheap-o, Mickey Mouse,
decal for the front panel labling. The thing has a tendancy to start peeling
along the edges of the panel, bulging out, and basicly looking like hell. I
find a carefull application of something like Bondini II between the decal
and the panel works fairly well to re-attach it.

In the case of the QSK-5...it is VERY sensitive to high SWR (I still haven't
determined what HIGH actually is). Anyway, when HIGH is exceded, the
 two parallel 12V bulbs, used to protect the pin diodes, go bye bye and
need to be replaced. After you have ordered the replacements from Ameritron
you have to open up the QSK-5, unsolder the old bulbs and solder in the
new ones. This is certainly not difficult, just simply annoying...I've had to do
this 3 or 4 times and finally ordered a handfull of the little beauties so I'm
prepared. A resetable fuse or socketed bulb would be a real improvement
to the device.

As far as Elecraft amps..it seems to me that high power amplifires are basically
a comodity item, bringing out another amp simply dilutes the market,
unless there are compelling features to make it stand out from the crowd. It
will, at best, hold its own. I would hate to see Elecraft embark on a money
losing venture, especially in the current economy.

Despite all that I would love to have a KPA-800!

Doug,
W6JD
K2/100  #1626
K3/100  #23