Well, I'll jump in here. I had the same problem a few months ago when I
assembled S/N 1889. The VFO A knob was way too loose no matter what I did. I
had followed the instructions and installed one (1) felt washer under both
the VFO A and B knobs. The B knob was fine. The A knob couldn't be adjusted
to my liking. Then I noticed I had an extra felt washer (i.e., a total of
three were included in the package). I added the second washer and life is
good. I have it setup so I can spin it and get a nice smooth run (maybe 6 or
8 turns) as it freewheels but yet for my taste it's not too loose.

Like everything else of course it's all a matter of taste. Two washers
worked for me. If it was an accident (they included too many) then it was
fortuitous in my case. If by chance you have a third washer install it and
life will be good.

73/Patrick
W7TMT