Hi Burke,

I don't think that you have a problem. I know that when the Elecraft specs give a resistance value of >#, it can often be much greater than the #. Your DMM is probably just reading a large off-scale value. During construction of my KX1 I kept an extensive log of my progress and I have attached a copy of it for you. (It's a .doc file but if you need it in plain .txt form let me know and I can resend it to you.) Read the entry for 09-Apr-06, it describes the exact changing-value resistance reading that you have mentioned.

I built a number of kit rigs before taking on the KX1. It will be a challenging first-kit, but with a steady hand, patience, and lot's of double checking you should be able to get it working. Hopefully some of the other entries in my log will be helpful to you as well. The KX1 is a wonderful rig for portable operations and I have had blast using it as part of what I call my "Shack-In-A-Box." I've attached a little bit of information about that as well.

The list is a great source of help so keep posting your questions and progress reports. Good luck and don't forget to enjoy the whole process - even the problems are opportunities for learning.

Merry Christmas and 73,
Paul - N8XMS

(Note:  Attachments were removed for the list version of this email.)

Okay, I am a complete electronics "newby" - so please be patient.

I have worked my way carefully up to page 26 on my KX1.  I have double
checked everything, but I may need to do it again.

The problem is with the resistance checks.

On U1 I have several pins that provide no resitance, by "no" I mean not even
zero - my DMM just shows nothing.

On U3 pin 1 and pen 8 show nothing as well.

This is true even if I touch the solder points on the bottom instead of the
pin holes or legs.

Also when I check the diodes D2 and D3 the Ohms just keep getting higher and
higher.  In other words when I touch the banded end of the diode the
resistance just keeps increasing as long as the probe is on the lead.  Is
this correct?

Any help would be much appreciated!  This is my first kit, and while I know
basically nothing about electronics I am good a physically constructing
things and I am careful in my work.

Burke Jones
N0HYD
Olathe, KS