Do you have an audio amplifier, a mic input on your sound card or even a
pair of headphones around? Try the mic with them. Any audio in the phones is
likely very low level but you might hear something in the typical 50-ohm
"computer" or "game" headsets around today. Some clip leads and a suitable
connector are all you need -- ground and hot lead -- to whatever

If you have an o'scope, it'll show audio too.

(Of course you have to make noise near the element ;-)

If you hear or see *any* response from the element, it's likely good. Those
old crystal and ceramic elements tended to work fine or not at all.

Be sure the amp in the base has a good battery in it: 9V IIRC.

Ron AC7AC