Perhaps you fellows are taking this from the wrong direction. After all,
this is not a new issue: I've seen situations where it has been addressed
since the beginning of "radio".

Perhaps the important thing is to announce when the transmitter IS making
RF, not when it's not.

Most of us have chuckled over the Novice (sometimes ourselves) who proudly
set up an ON THE AIR sign that lighted when the tx was transmitting. Of
course, those came from radio/TV studio usage where they were warning
everyone they were, indeed "On the Air".

But they aren't the only ones. I never saw a shipboard CW console that
wasn't set up with something that displayed, usually quite dramatically,
when RF was being fed to the antenna. In those installations, a very short
(in wavelengths) end fed wire was the common antenna, and one end came into
the radio room as a copper pipe suspended from the ceiling by ceramic
insulators as it passed to the antenna switch at the top of the radio
console. "Sparky" invariably hung or taped a few large neon lamps or a
fluorescent lamp onto that copper feeder that would illuminate every time
the key was pressed.

I always have something that prominently display when RF current is flowing
into the antenna. After all these years I'd feel 'naked' without it :-)

Perhaps we need an accessory "ON AIR" sign for the K3.

Ron AC7AC