David,

Double shielded coax would certainly reduce leakage from the coax, and is a
good investment in my opinion. However its use might not have too much
impact on the receiver's birdie problem, because many of the "rogue" signals
involved are probably flowing on the outside of the coax's braid, certainly
if the coax emerges from some enclosure through a hole.

The usual cause of a receiver birdie is that some response of the receiver
is "hearing" some oscillator or a harmonic, or some mixing product of two or
more oscillators, contained within the receiver. In a down conversion HF
receiver, the great majority of the receiver's responses, therefore the
"rogue signals", that cause birdie problems are at HF and up to low/ mid
VHF, which means that choking off coax runs within a receiver becomes
cumbersome.

73,

Geoff
GM4ESD