I like watching birds, but I don't tick 'em off in a book, and I don't drive
hundreds of miles just to spot a rarity.

Same with radio. It's nice to work something unusual but if I can't do it
with moderate power and antennas I'm not bothered about it.

Anyone can work a long distance with high power and a huge antenna. What
never stops being amazing is when someone hears you from thousands of miles
away and you're using barely enough power to light a torch bulb.

Even the guy at the other end whose antenna, receiver and ears make the
contact possible, can still appreciate the wonder of that.

It'd be nice to be able to run the legal limit into a big beam, but I bet if
I could I'd soon get bored with it.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack   http://www.g4ilo.com/blog.html G4ILO's