The quick test I did today used a common 2N7000 MOSFET to switch a
physically small relay typical of those used in ham gear. I think this
is a reasonably common arrangement and I've used it in the past myself.

The turn-off voltage exceeds the 2N7000's maximum permitted source-drain
voltage of 60 volts. What happens is that the 2N7000 breaks down at
70-75 volts and acts like a Zener diode.

I'll leave it to the designer to decide whether it's a good thing or a
bad thing to have the 2N7000 break down with every diode switch cycle. I
don't recall seeing a caution in the 2N7000 data sheet recommending that
the device not be operated in a mode that causes it to break down but it
seems to me that it isn't a good idea for a reliable design. The relay
coil resistance will limit the peak current through the 2N7000 when in
break down mode, but it still leaves me uncomfortable.

Jack