----- Original Message -----

From: "Steve Ellington" <n...@carolina.rr.com>

>It appears that your coax does not exactly match the impedance of your
>dipole (It rarely does)....
-------------------------------------

Thank you Steve for your comments. I fully accept about a probable mismatch
between dipole and coax (and of course the performance of the antenna
remains to be seen), also that there are many factors affecting SWR and that
sampling at different points along the coax will produce different results
if there is reactance in the load. In this case the antenna feeder was
connected to the LP100A about 2.5 inches down the line from the ANT 1
socket. To my mind that seems a short length to account for an SWR
difference at 7 Mhz as big as 1.2:1 (K3) vs 2.0:1 (LP100A and MFJ 259B). We
all need to know what sort of load the rig or the amplifier is looking into
and a discrepancy like that is unsettling.

All three measuring devices see no reactance and 1.0:1 at 7.145 MHz. What
seems to happen is that as one moves up or down in frequency from that point
(and the load gains reactance) the K3 indication remains significantly
lower than than other two. I doubt if 2.5 inches of coax would account for
the difference and the MFJ259B, which agrees with the LP100A,
connects to the antenna feeder at exactly the same point as the K3's
ANT 1 socket so there is not even that extra 2.5 inches.

It leads me to think that maybe my K3 is not measuring SWR as well as it
should either due to a fault in my particular one or to the way it is set up
to work.

73 to all

Geoff
G3UCK