I have had some similar observations on ten meters.  After reading your report
I am inclined to agree with you.  I have a station about 5 miles away who I
contact on a regular basis on 10 meters, both SSB and CW.  He is usually very
distorted here and I have not been able to understand because others on the net
do not seem to observe the distortion.  I have also heard a few stations with
strong skip that seem the same way.  I have not tried a different antenna, but
turning off the pre-amp helps some and engaging the attenuator helps even more.

It makes sense to me that the front end overload clipping is activating and
distorting the signal.  It may not be such a problem now that I think I
understand what is going on.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ