Hello All;

I'm a new guy in here.  I just got my K3 a few weeks ago and I've
been having a blast.  My main interest in the hobby has been
operating the soundcard digital modes

I have been enjoying this thread on the WPX contest last weekend.
The contest has really sparked an interest in CW for me.  Hearing all
that code really knocked the rust off what little code I needed to
get my general license in 2004.  The code being sent was generally
too fast for me to copy more than a character here and there but by
Sunday 20 wpm seemed slow.

I did make a dozen or so contacts using MCW in Digital Master 780.
First question: should I be using Digital Mode A on the K3 or should
I be in CW mode with MCW in DM780 for CW?  I was using Digital Mode A
and everything *seemed* OK.  I'll only send in a check log, if
anything, because I didn't really read the code unassisted.

Second, whenever I use Digital Mode A, I generally monitor the audio
sent in my headphones.  I hear soft clicks or pops infrequently
during the transmission.  Usually at least once per transmission.
Very similar to the soft pop I hear when the radio goes back into
receive after transmitting a digital signal.  The end of my trace in
the waterfall shows a line across the waterfall where my PSK trace
(or other signal) terminates.  Is this click transmitting across the
entire bandpass?  I would hate to think I am causing QRM.  The clicks
and pops I hear during the transmission cause no visible line across
the waterfall like the termination click.

Ron, AC7AC suggested these clicks might be artifacts in the
monitoring system and not going out over the air.  Does anybody else
hear this and do you have any comments/suggestions?

I would love to continue to try my hand at CW contests, if only as
code practice.  For me they have been quite a motivator in getting me
back into code.  However I don't want to be a nuisance either.
Moreover I want to be a good neighbor on the waterfall.

TIA

73 de Eric KG6MZS