Hi Myles,

The microphone is the stock Elecraft hand mic.  There is nothing betwen the
microphone and the rig.  I'm home now and doing some more tests and noticed
something odd.

Upon initial keydown in SSB with the amp on and the K3 set to 50w, I'll get
a forward reading on the wattmeter anywhere between 10-17w with no audio
going into the mic.  After about a two seconds the forward power will drop
to about .5 watt.

With mic gain set to 0, this problem doesn't occur.  Turning it up to 14 or
15, the alarm still trips but not so often.  Turning the gain back down to 3
or 4 and the problem occurs with much greater frequency.

There's something going on the minute I key the mic that's looping into the
audio circuitry.  Turning the gain down makes the problem worse until I
reach 0 gain.

I also just found something very interesting. If I set the gain to 4 and the
K3 to 50w, I can make the alarm  trip.  Dropping the K3's output to the
point that I no longer am using the KPA3 (around 12w where the relay
clicks), I can no longer recreate the issue.  Cranking back the power so the
KPA3 is used, the problem returns.

James K2QI