I think that dangers of protected Li-Ion batteries are way overblown. After
all, millions of laptops with those batteries fly every day with no problem.

The charging problems are overblown as well. What happens if the battery
life is 100 charges and not 500 when you need to charge every two weeks. By
the time the battery is weak it is obsolete.

I have 2 x 3 pack of computer Li-ion cells (with built-in protection) in my
K2 for 5 years. Charged via a 12.6V 1A regulator with a laptop PS.  Light
and zero problems. It seems that charging each cell 4.2V (or 12.6V for 3
cells) with some current restriction is a good enough technique for
longevity.

Ignacy