<snip>

CW ops use this long inter-element delay between E and N (to make R)
as a point of emphasis.  I guess this means "Very Good R".  This has
been true at least at least since I was first  licensed (1972).  At
that time, electronic keyers were fairly new (and/or expensive,) and
bugs were often used.  That delay is very common for a bug user.

Many elements of style are incorporated into one's fist, according to
experience and exposure.  And some styles (swing, or whatever it's
called) persist culturally even if the technology changes.  You
probably won't hear the long delay in contesting though, since every
unnecessary delay counts towards missed contacts.

73,
matt zilmer, W6NIA
K3 #24, K2 #2810