Before the recent change in the IF sample circuit, the transfer gain was
around -15 to -17 dB. In other words, a signal input to the antenna will
appear at the IF sample port about 15 dB below the input level. This
assumes  the K3's preamplifier is off and, of course, that the K3 is
tuned to within a couple hundred KHz of the input test signal.

My understanding of the modification (I have not made the change to my
K3, but I have looked at the change in simulation) is that the transfer
gain is now around -5 dB or so when measured into a 50 ohm termination.

IF sample ports of commercial and military receivers tend to be of two
types, and some receivers have both. If intended for panadapter use, the
net transfer gain usually is around 0 dB, i.e., the output signal level
at IF is approximately equal to the RF input signal level. The second
type of IF output is used for external demodulation, and will often
have  considerable gain and is usually at a later IF stage and often
will be behind the receiver's selective filtering. This type of IF
sample is also usable to look at the signal envelope, but is close to
worthless for wide band panadapter use. The K3, of course, has an IF
sample of the first type. My Kenwood TS-940 has both, a panadapter
usable high IF sample at 8850 KHz and the second type of IF output
sample at 100 KHz. (These are from memory, so excuse me if I've made an
error in the exact frequencies.)

A typical oscilloscope will have a usable signal deflection at maximum
gain in the range of a few millivolts per cm or graticule division.
Let's say it's 5 mV/div, not an unusual value. An envelope deflection of
2 divisions (+/- 1 division) has a peak-to-peak voltage therefore of 10
mV, or an RMS value of 3.5 mV. If 50uV = S9, and if the net transfer
gain of the K3 to the IF is -5 dB (it will probably be better than this
since  the oscilloscope has a high Z input) then it will require an
input signal level of 42 dB over S9 to yield 2 divisions peak-to-peak
deflection. Hence, it's not at all surprising that one will not see an
envelope displayed when an oscilloscope is connected to the K3's IF
sample port with normal antenna signal levels. Spectrum analyzers or
panadapters, of course, are designed to be much more sensitive,
responding to signal levels in the 1 uV range or less.

Jack K8ZOA
www.cliftonlaboratories.com