Hi Tom,

Both varieties will produce the DC voltages you need (as would a few
batteries). For your purposes, the differences between the two types may
not matter.

Linear power supplies use a conventional transformer to convert line
voltage (117vac) to a lower voltage (typically 15-18vac), which is then
rectified by diodes, filtered by capacitors and (usually) controlled by
a voltage regulator to 13-14 volts DC. Unfortunately, as the current
goes up, the size of the transformer (which usually contains an iron
core) goes up as well; a 20 amp 12V linear power supply might weigh 15
lbs or more.

Switching power supplies generate a high frequency AC voltage, which
does away with the need for the heavy transformer. So switching supplies
tend to be lighter than linear supplies for the given amount of current
produced. The disadvantage is that the high frequency AC can, in poor
designed/shielded supplies, generate "hash" that can be heard in your
receiver.

QST has tested a number of switching power supplies recently, you might
check to see if the supplies you're considering have been evaluated.

73,
Dave KQ3T