Totally agree with Guy.

It sometimes seems like those new to Elecraft and the K3 want to change
the rig to act just like the rig they have or had before getting the K3.

I love all the "menu suggestions" from the new owners. Never mind most
of these suggestions have been hashed to death on the reflector and
either implemented or rejected by Elecraft long before the "suggester"
bought the radio. The split operation discussion is a perfect example.

If the K3's feature set and UI don't measure up to your expectations
sell the radio. Elecraft do listen to users suggestions but we have to
remember this isn't a democracy, they make the decisions. If they decide
NOT to implement your "best thing since sliced bread" suggestion don't
bring it back to the reflector and have some kind of quasi vote on the
subject.

Seems to me more and more of these suggestions are an attempt to make
the rig do everything taking the human out of the loop. Is it possible
to TX on the DX frequency when operating split? Absolutely! If you do
you deserve the raspberries you get because you weren't prepared.

The middle of a rare DX pileup or contest is a TERRIBLE place to learn
how to operate the rig.

Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
> I catch myself wondering if some posters have actually used the radio. I
> need to work on my cynical streak.
>
> There is a specific [SPLT] icon when rig is operating split mode: RX on A
> and TX on B. This is accompanied by a "TX" above an arrow pointing down to
> [B] .  [SPLT] TX > [B] does not go away while using RIT or XIT.  The TX
> delta F light indicates that if you key you will not be transmitting on the
> VFO A frequency because of split mode or XIT.
>
> Will changing the steady light to blinking really fix anything?  It's the
> no-light situation that needs to call attention to itself. Normal, even a
> blinking normal, will get tuned out by the mind.
>
> I find split operation with the KRX3 to be delightful, using a pair of
> speakers and being able to listen to both the DX and the pile
> simultaneously. Even without the KRX3, holding down REV and tuning the knob
> with thumb to find TX frequency and release to transmit split, works very
> well.
>
> However, there is no remedy for my showing up on a frequency stupid and/or
> careless, no matter how I wish Aptos could have built in an idiot operator
> auto-disable mode to save me embarassment. Alas, I have done my share of TX
> on the DX frequency, with noone but myself to blame. Radio has no way of
> knowing that I should be transmitting split.
>
> While the K3 scheme is fairly unlike my MP, I found that once the functions
> are learned and put together for different situations, that the K3
> combinations are very powerful and quick.
>
> It's always me that's the problem, not the radio.
>
> 73, Guy.

R. Kevin Stover

ACØH