All this discussion on macros is very good, but what I'd really like
is some more programable function keys.
I don't want to use Mx keys, because I want them for recorded
messages. That leaves just PFx keys.

I did post over a year ago on the possibility of allowing us to have
to banks of function keys, using PFx + [0-9] as the way of accessing
them.

That is, (via a CONFIG option of course) to be able to use PF1 as an
introducer, followed by one press of the 0 - 9 keys, therefore with
both PF1 & PF2, that gives us 20 function keys. And it works rather
like a quick memory (M->V + [0-9]) so I hope wouldn't be too onerous.
This however does mean you would have to HOLD PF1 or PF2, which might
be a little annoying.

The alternative for people who want to keep PF1 & PF2 and would work
around the HOLD of PFx, is to allow us to specify that one of the Mx
buttons is the introducer to a function bank, thereby, we would loose
one Mx message and gain 10 function keys, still keeping the PFx keys
and getting a TAP introducer. It would also allow those that wish it,
to be able to have 40 function keys by designating all four Mx buttons
as function introducers. And I guess (if there is enough memory, both
machine and human) they could designate both TAP and HOLD Mx to give
them 80 function keys, but I'd have trouble remembering 10 personally!

Of course, I'm hoping the P3 will provide some more function keys.
And I saw a suggestion here that perhaps a row of keys could be
designed to fit under the K3, I guess using the RJ11 (or is it an
RJ12) service connector as the way into the firmware.

73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
--
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.
But I'm not so sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein.