Wes,

No-one is holding the K3 blameless, but in the interest of complete
troubleshooting, it is quite reasonable (to me) to check the easy things
first if for no other reason than to eliminate them from the suspect
list.  It is often that the things that are most frequently overlooked
are the culprit.  Despite the fact that these things are easy to check,
human nature tends to expect the worst - elimination of items from the
suspect list as a first order of business is always a wise undertaking
in troubleshooting procedures.  In other words, proving what works is
just as important as finding what does not work.

73,
Don W3FPR