Randy Downs wrote:
> He told me that a "Big Gun" would never buy a K3.
> #1 due to not having 200w, #2 due to ergonomics. He basically said
> that people that buy a K3 don't use it enough to not see the inherent
> flaws in the layout, size etc. of the K3.
Road Apples!!!

The "big gun" contest stations don't run low power so 200W is
irrelevant. They also do very little "fiddling" with settings once
running so control count is irrelevant as well.
The guy your talking about must have been a marketing major.
That's the problem, we've been fed pretty lights and more knobs than we
know what to do with for years. The guys with more more money than sense
and very little RF experience snap them up and  all of a sudden  the
XXXX FTdx  Pro IV  becomes the rig to have. IC-7800 or FT-9000 anybody?

If a rig takes up half the desk, takes two people to carry, and looks
like a 747 cockpit control panel it must be a great performer, right?

> I've always found that the antenna was the most critical part of my
> station. Then the transceiver as far dynamic range etc. Then power
> output, in that order. What does everyone else think? I know looks to
> a lot of people are #1, but I'm sure that the station I am trying to
> contact really doesn't care.
> Randy
> K8RDD

Agree totally.