Hi Richard,
In my opinion you have not installed the APP's correctly.  I used them on my
K2, my K3 and all over the shack.  I have used them mobile and on the bench.
 I have even used them holding the K2 in my hand while I transmitted on SSB
to test a portable aerial.  I have never had a problem with them ever apart
from one I didn't fit correctly.  Personally, I solder them to the cable as
I have no crimp tool but as I say, I have had no issues with them at all.
 The tongue of the APP *must* overlap the spring and there should be an
audible click as it goes home.

73 Ian

--
Ian J Maude, G0VGS