Johnny -

I can give you some general ideas about the "why" of the 60 meter band
in the USA.  First, the allocation was granted in response to a petition
requesting a new band in the 5 MHz range.

The primary justification offered was that the propagation
characteristics of the 60 meter band would be expected to  be  useful
when either the 75 meter band or the 40 meter band was not optimum for
the traffic to be passed.  The increased flexibility would be useful in
time of emergency.   The FCC agreed that  this was a valid reason for
the allocation.

Second, the band was "channelized" to 5 discrete spots, as opposed to
the "anywhere in the band" method used for all other bands.  Because the
band is available on a shared basis, and the amateur service is not the
primary user, the FCC stated that the use of discrete channels was the
only way they could guarantee that interference to other users would be
as low as possible.  Apparently, the "sharing" of frequencies on the 30
meter band (another band where amateur radio is a secondary user) had
generated some complaints.  I don't know how true this is, perhaps it is
just a rumor. But, in any case, the 60 meter band ended up as a
"discrete channel" operation.

There have been occasional reports that the FCC is considering "opening
up" the band to other modes.  As things stand now,  60 meters  is the
only USA allocated HF band where CW operation is prohibited.  In fact,
the only mode permitted is USB voice, which is somewhat at odds with
normal amateur practice, where all bands below 7.3 MHz use LSB for SSB
operation.   Perhaps someday we will see other modes, VFO operation, and
even a somewhat expanded frequency allocation, but there is no way to
know if this will ever happen.

Another quirk is the power limitation, 50 watts PEP maximum ERP, an
unusual requirement to be sure.  This is possibly another accommodation
to the primary users of the band.  The power limitations have proven
problematical for some who attempt to use the band, as higher power
levels are often useful when attempting to overcome the effects of poor
propagation.

All these things together have operated to make the 60 meter band rather
less used than some had originally  expected.  I suspect that when and
if the rules are relaxed a bit, we will see more use.

Jim, KL7CC