>ins to Audio so I can help my neighbor Bob, W9KNI get his dialed in.
>His sounds lousy and he

if you want a handheld for a K3,,,or K2  or icom...
check out
:http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WiredMicrophones/us_pro_527C_content

you will notice that this mic has a rising hi end response,,,
popularized by Shure Bros...(not Heil)
for articulation,,,,and works great with ssb,,,,  not flat ,,,

You could drive a car over the case and not hurt it ,,,
the PTT switch will last longer that all of us,,,,not a mini microswich
The cord, more rubber than plastic,  isn't so stiff or thick it will
pull that radio off the shelf.... but close. The 527 requires some
dc,  the 526 is straight dynamic,,,,

while it was made in US now it's made in america,,,,,  mexico I think..

anyway , i've got three   one wired for k3 ,  two for K2/ICOM......

sold at all the usual suspect places,,,,  and cheaper than the piece
of junk from  ...

As far as a great base mic.,,, just about anything will do,
especially if it's an electret ,  as you can eq it to sound like a
telefunken U-47 ribbon, if you wish...

I also have a sennheiser headset...HMD..280, with the d meaning the
boom mic is dynamic... a sennheiser HME  would be an electret.
Found mine at dayton, as an AV lab castaway...  ebay is another
source as new is too much$.
No longer have external eqs here.

I thought any noise gate issues were worked out by lyle.

bill