Bob Naumann wrote:

> What this tells us is that while us K3 types are devoted and loyal, we're
> just a drop in the bucket of the world-wide amateur market compared to the
> "big two". (Kenwood doesn't count until they come out with a real radio -
> then it once again may be the 'big 3').

Actually, I don't think it "tells us" this at all. I/Y/K manufacture and
sell a huge range of electronic products, not all radios in the usual
sense, and most of ones that are "radios" are for non-ham users.  They
are all very large international companies, and no fooling, they make
good ham radios, no question.  Elecraft on the other hand, sells ham
radio products only -- and very good ones that compete with the specs of
the others so well as to win in most categories.  Coupled with the
issues of support, upgrade, and cost, E-radios are probably at the top
of the heap for many reasons.

My KX1 is #697 [I think].  K2 is #4398.  K3 is #642, but it has a couple
of hardware mods and is running FW Ver 4.03 as I type this, pretty much
up to date as of 17 Jun 2010.  I have yet to see an update for my FT-847
[which I like and use on UHF/VHF].  Actually, I don't think Yaesu even
knows I'm one of their customers, but Elecraft does.

We need to be very careful how we compare radios and companies who make
them.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2010 Cal QSO Party 2-3 Oct 2010
- www.cqp.org