Jim,

If make sure you have the MIC SEL menu item set appropriately for either FP or
RP.
Also, while the MIC SEL menu item is open, tap the "1" button to toggle between
hi
and lo gain and if it is an electret mic you should turn the bias on by tapping
the "2" button.

Hope this helps.

-------------------------
73,
Greg - AB7R
Whidbey Island WA
NA-065

On Thu Jul  1 20:55 , Jim Hoge  sent:

>I am need of guidance on all things voice. I have used my K3 (#1816) for some
>time
now but only on cw. With the 6m openings, I decided to put a mic on the radio
and
promptly ran into problems. I cannot get the mic gain high enough to reach 8
bars
per the manual. I can only get close if the mic gain is maxed, the compression
is
maxed, the menu gain is toggled to the high level, and I shout. I have tried
both a
hand mic wired through the front panel and an Heil PR-20 wired through the rear
panel. I have not played with eq at all yet but I have noticed that there is no
mic
output unless there is some compression. No compression equals no output. Your
help
is greatly appreciated. It's probably operator error but I'm too close to see
the
problem.