I have Phonak hearing aids.  The audiologist at the VA had one of these
and let me try it out [it didn't look exactly the same as in the web
page, maybe an earlier model].  I fed the headphone out from my K3 to
it.  It worked.  Not fantastic however.  My hearing aids were still on
and I got a lot of room and ambient noise QRM, and I missed having the
cans on.  The Phonak thing isn't cheap.

I have a small outboard audio amplifier that I use with the K3/K2/KX1, I
can get enough audio to drive the Heil cans to distortion, and the K3 RX
equalizer helps some on SSB which is not one of my usual modes anyway.

Maybe he could get a loan from his provider to try it out before getting
it.  Hearing is a fickle sense ... what works for one is useless for
another.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2010 Cal QSO Party 2-3 Oct 2010
- www.cqp.org