Well, that did work but a lot more awkward than just navigating on the
main page.  For one thing, you have to jump through all that raw HTML
and then the cursor is left at the bottom of the screen or nearest
link when you toggle back and forth between the modes.  It is an
interesting idea though.  Yes, the position was further down the page
when I found a heading element further down and then toggled back to
plain mode again.  I was afraid it would reset bafck to the top of the
page when toggling modes.  At least it doesn't do that.