I want to experiment with my own custom css's but I cannot get elinks to
use it at all. Just to test I did something simple but noticable like
making the page background red but it doesn't work.

When it says that file paths should be relative to elinks home directory it
means ~/.elinks? So if I put my css in ~/.elinks I can just put the title
in options with no path?

Do custom css's take over completely from a pages own css, or is there some
mix of the two with perhaps one taking priority?

I presently have

Enable CSS 1
Import external style sheets 1
Default style sheet test.css

Are these settings correct for custom css or should some be 0?

Any other thoughts?

Cheers and a happy Yuletide :)