2011-08-20T19:34:56-0700, s...@panix.com wrote:
> YOu can use named pipes and  a background script
> which processes the data from the named pipe in any way you want.
>

> On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 09:37:38PM -0400, Daniel Choi wrote:
> > Instead of performing the save-formatted action, which saves to a file,
> > I'd like to pipe the formatted contents of a web page displayed by
> > ELinks to a custom shell command (which, for example, sends the content
> > to a printer).
> >
> > Is there a convenient way to do this?

This is on a Mac.  *nix would be something like "firefox -remote %c"
I just press 'S' and it goes to the external browser, but you can make
another one that pipes it through some commands and out through a
printer. (html2text %c | lpr ? IDK. Maybe you have to background it too?)

set document.uri_passing.safari = "open %c 2>/dev/null"
bind "main" "S" = "tab-external-command"

>From the config:

  ## document.uri_passing
  #  Rules for passing URIs to external commands. When one rule is defined the
  #  link and tab menu will have a menu item that makes it possible to pass the
  #  the link, frame or tab URI to an external command. If several rules are
  #  defined the link and tab menu will have a submenu of items for each rule.
  #
  #  Note, this is mostly useful for launching graphical viewers, since there is
  #  no support for releasing the terminal while the command runs. The action
  #  and submenus are also available by binding keys to the
  #  frame-external-command, the link-external-command, and the
  #  tab-external-command actions.

    ## document.uri_passing.safari <str>
    #  A rule for passing URI to an external command. The format is:
    #  %c in the string means the current URL
    #  %% in the string means '%'
    #  Do _not_ put single- or double-quotes around %c.

--
# Joseph Sullivan