From: elinks-users-boun...@linuxfromscratch.org
[mailto:elinks-users-boun...@linuxfromscratch.org] On Behalf Of Fabienne
Ducroquet
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 2:41 PM
To: ELinks text WWW browser users mailing list
Subject: Re: [elinks-users] elinks.conf file

Le lundi 16 juillet 2012, Gray, Steve, Wipro a écrit :
> Hello,
> I do have my variable exported in my .profile.  Plus, I did try to use
> the -config-dir option.  In my configuration (along with other stuff),
> I have --prefix=/opt/tribily/bin/elinks \
>         -config-dir="/opt/tribily/bin/elinks" \
>
> But I get the error: configure: error: unrecognized option:
> -config-dir=/opt/tribily/bin/elinks
> Try `./configure --help' for more information.
>
> And when I run the "./configure --help", there is no information about
> the "-config-dir" option.  How do I set up that option?  I would like
> to be in a position where I can use either the wget command or use elinks.

You are confusing different things:
– The compilation options, which you pass to the ./configure script that you run
  before compiling with make.
  They are listed by ./configure --help and --prefix is one of them. Some of
  them (but not --prefix) can also be set in the features.conf file. They are
  used to specify what features you want to enable and where you want to install
  the files created. They are needed only for compilation and installation, you
  don’t need to have access to them afterwards (but you can find what options
  you used by grepping for ./configure in config.log, and if you compile several
  times without running ./configure in between the same options will be used
  each time).
– The runtime options, which you pass to the elinks executable, -config-dir is
  one of them.
  They are documented in elinks’s manpage. Note that the syntax is slightly
  different from that of ./configure options: you have to write -config-dir
  /opt/tribily/bin/elinks, without an equal sign.
– The options stored (by default) in the configuration file elinks.conf, which
  you can edit manually or by using the options manager available in elinks’s
  menu. They are the same as the "Preferences" or "Settings" that you find in
  most graphical programs.

    So to use the -config-dir option you have to add it to the command line in
the script, so it becomes (split on several lines for readability):
    /opt/tribily/bin/elinks/src/elinks -config-dir /opt/tribily/bin/elinks \
    -source "http://$HOST:$PORT/nginx_status"; \
    | grep 'Reading' | awk '{print $2}

With this you don’t need to set the ELINKS_CONFDIR variable anymore.

    But if I understand correctly, you don’t really need to use that particular
configuration directory, you could just let elinks use the default value, it
will create a .elinks directory in your $HOME and store some files there. You
can even disable that with the -no-home option, because for your usage you
don’t need to store bookmarks, history, cookies, etc.

    Actually, you may not need to use --prefix either, since it is only useful
when you install the files (with "make install"), and it seems that you are
compiling in /opt/tribily/bin/elinks and directly using the executable without
installing it. But if I were you, I would rather (assuming you have the
necessary permissions):
– Move the whole /opt/tribily/bin/elinks directory elsewhere, because I would
  expect /opt/tribily/bin to contain binary files related to tribily rather than
  the sources of another program, so I’d put this directory directly in /opt, or
  /opt/src, or my home directory if nobody else needs to have access to the
  sources.
– Configure and compile elinks with --prefix=/opt, or --prefix=/usr/local, or
  --prefix=$HOME if I want to install it for myself only, and install it.
– Check that /opt/bin, or /usr/local/bin, or $HOME/bin, is in the $PATH, and
  that /opt/share/man, or /usr/local/share/man, or $HOME/share/man is in the
  $MANPATH.
    If you do that, you can then use elinks like any other program, without
having to tell explicitly to the shell where to find it, so in your script you
can replace "/opt/tribily/bin/elinks/src/elinks" with simply "elinks".

    One further remark: I read again the error message you got, which was:
> ERROR at home.c:149: Unable to find or create ELinks config directory.
> Please check if you have $HOME variable set correctly and if you have
> write permission to your home directory
    This message means that ELinks was trying to access the $HOME of the user
it was running as (the message would have been different if it was trying to
access /opt/tribily/bin/elinks), so we can deduce from this:
– that it didn’t have access to the ELINKS_CONFDIR variable; – that it either
didn’t find the $HOME, or couldn’t write to it.
    So there must be a problem somewhere, which user is your script running as?
If it’s you, the $HOME variable must have been modified somewhere, if it’s a
user with no $HOME where it can write, then it changes a little what I wrote
above (where I assumed that the script was run by a regular user, with a $HOME,
etc.): it can’t access your .profile, $PATH, etc., so if you want to set
variables you have to do so in the script or change the system-wide
environment, and also in that case it is probably better to use -no-home.

Regards