What exactly are those effects that could pose issues? Nested macro blocks
inside of another macro? Ambiguous syntax due to macro usage?

IMO Tree-Sitter will be at least as correct as current RegExp syntaxes,
while being faster, with the upside of potentially turning out much better.
The worst case scenario of a faster sidegrade is still an improvement, so
this is worth of consideration in my opinion.